Tap-In Question: Who wins the 2016 World Series and why? - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Connolly's Tap Room

Tap-In Question: Who wins the 2016 World Series and why?

beltran_carlos_08042016_45
Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

connolly_header1

I’ve noticed a lot of people are wearing orange-and-black in here lately, sans the orange over the past day or two.

It’s mourning for a season that has perished.

We’ll have plenty of time to break down what went right and wrong in 2016. I’ll be writing something nearly every day this offseason, so let’s pace ourselves.

Today, though, let’s talk baseball in general. The playoff field is now down to eight teams.

It really should be an interesting crapshoot to see who wins the World Series.

That’s the focus in the Tap Room today. Short and sweet.

Who makes the 2016 World Series and who wins it?

In April, I predicted the Houston Astros would beat the San Francisco Giants in seven games. That can’t happen now. So I’m taking a mulligan.

My new prediction: I’m taking the Texas Rangers over the Chicago Cubs in six games. Not a huge limb to climb on here. Both own the top record and top seed in their respective leagues.

So I’m allowing you to wipe the slate clean, too. And we’ll revisit this once the World Series participants are finalized. As the ALDS is about to start (with the Orioles out of it), I want to see your World Series picks.

Tap-In Question: Who do you predict will end up in the World Series, and who wins it all?

October 6, 2016 at 7:24 am

Dan, it’s 7:16 AM and I’m drowning my sorrow with a keg of fake Natty Boh. I’ve pondered your tap in question, and the first response that comes to mind is this.

Does it really matter anymore?

However out of respect for your efforts, and considering how much I love my time in the tap-room reading you every morning, I’ll go with the Giants. Reason? Well, it’s an even year, and as you may have figured out by now, I believe that forces beyond our understanding control the fate and destiny of every MLB contest and series.

Yeah … the Giants.
    (I bet THEY never had any super hero bobblehead give away)

October 6, 2016 at 9:06 am

Not a bad pick Dan, but Texas just doesn’t pass the eye test for me, primarily because the Birds had their way with them this year. Ditto Cleveland. Whoever represents the Junior Circuit this year is coming out of the broken bottle and broomhandle fight that was the AL East. As to Chicago, as cool as it might be to see them win my logic tells me there are 108 reasons not to pick them, so I won’t.
    Common sense dictates that in the postseason you go with what got you here (YOU HEAR THAT, BUCK?!) and I’m sticking with my preseason pick, though it may taste like week old egg salad from a gas station right now; Toronto over San Francisco in 7.

October 6, 2016 at 10:56 am

“week old egg salad from a gas station” …. You’re a professional aren’t you?

• Bancells Moustache

October 6, 2016 at 11:08 am

No, I only eat egg salad as a hobby.

3. Schwarzstop

October 6, 2016 at 10:22 am

Texas/Toronto – Texas with Home Field Advantage in a very entertaining 5 games.

Boston/Cleveland – The Indians are too busted up, Boston in 4.

Texas/Boston – They played 6 games together in 2016, each team at home won the series 2-1 with a lot of runs being scored. My heart says Texas, my head says Boston… Boston in 7 (I think I just threw up a little).

Giants/Cubs – Bumgarner can’t pitch EVERY game! Cubs in 6.

Dodgers/Nats – Nats were 1-5 against the Dodgers in 2016, that trend will continue, Dodgers in 5.

Cubs/Dodgers – Cubs are rolling. Cubs in 6

Cubs/Red Sox – Home Field advantage… Sox in 7 (I just threw up a little more)

4. garyintheloo

October 6, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Hate to say it as well but I think Schwarzstop will get the free drinks. Although I still wouldn’t mind the Giants winning again as they do have other pitching options. BTW, I’m not mad about Britton not making an appearance. If he was used in the 9th and 10th we’d still have the same 11th inning situation though I would have been tempted to go with Bundy. Remember, WE DIDN’T SCORE RUNS!

5. pedro

October 6, 2016 at 4:42 pm

It’s time for the Cubs. Finally, they get a world championship. I’m picking them over Boston in six games.