Tap-In Question: Will the Orioles return to Camden Yards this year? - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Connolly's Tap Room

Tap-In Question: Will the Orioles return to Camden Yards this year?

Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

The Tap Room and the 85 taps (for each Orioles’ win) are open.

But I’m not selling clarity today, not in an Orioles’ bar.

Because just when we thought we knew this team – after a four-game sweep by the Boston that pushed the Orioles out of the second AL Wild Card spot – they sweep the Arizona Diamondbacks and reclaim that Wild Card position.

Obviously, the Diamondbacks aren’t a good squad (64-91), but every win matters.

So let’s get out the crystal ball again.

The Orioles went 50-31 at home this year and now go on the road for their final six contests. Three are at Toronto and three at New York – it’s the toughest remaining schedule for any of the AL Wild Card contenders.

If status quo holds, the Orioles will be playing a one-game, Wild Card playoff in Toronto on Tuesday, October 4.

But will status quo hold?

My gut says the Orioles do make the playoffs, but they don’t get past the American League Division Series if they can win the Wild Card game. My gut also had the Orioles beating the Boston Red Sox three of four this week, and they were swept. So there’s that.

For the record, I will say they play at least one more game in Baltimore this year – whether it is hosting the Wild Card game or ALDS games.

Maybe your prediction will be better than mine. So bring it on.

Tap-In Question: Will the Orioles return to Camden Yards again this year?

1. Os fan in Detroit

September 26, 2016 at 8:07 am

Does this tap room have Yuengling? I think they will return to OPCY. The way I see it, they have 2 chances to beat Toronto to get back home. If they don’t pass them in the regular season, they should face them in the wildcard game. Winning either way gets them back to home cooking.

September 26, 2016 at 8:39 am

I’ve spent more than half my life living in Pa. Yuengling Lager (and lager light) is essential. And I agree. Toronto is the primary roadblock. Twice.

2. claudecat

September 26, 2016 at 8:33 am

It could just be the hopeful, less pessimistic side of my alleged brain winning out here, but I do think there will be more baseball in Baltimore this season. I’m thinking that overtaking the Jays for the first slot isn’t likely, but our chances in a one game playoff are good.

Which means that we’ll face either Texas or Cleveland most likely, neither of whom scare me all that much, especially the Indians. At least two games at home feels realistic.

One thing to keep in mind as we play Toronto at Rogers Centre will be the roof. Will it be closed? O’s fans should hope it is, allowing our dong-centric offense a fighting chance. Of course that works both ways, but our pitching has been better of late.

Whatever happens, it’s nice that we hold our fate in our own hands, and what would be more satisfying than dispatching this year’s most despicable rival, the Jays? Wait… we said that about Boston too, didn’t we…

September 26, 2016 at 8:41 am

With those 2 teams, they could open the Grand Canyon and homers would still be hit. Should be interesting.

September 26, 2016 at 9:09 am

The tap collection is impressive indeed, but I’m afraid the stuff is wasted on me. Lagavulin 16 neat with a glass of water on the side if you please.

No. As much as it may agonize me to say and how dearly I wish to draw the magic out of my old “Cito Sucks” t-shirt, I just don’t see it. While a sweep is a sweep, this weekend was hardly encouraging. In two games the Orioles offense was the definition of middling, even taking 12 innings to beat the immortal Shelby Miller with 3 solo home runs. That’s not gonna cut it against Toronto or even New York. If that series isn’t against a team that is 25 games back in their division, the Birds drop 2 of 3 and are outside looking in right now. I’m thinking 1 of 3 in Toronto, 2 of 3 in New York and yes, the curtain has dropped on Eutaw Street this year.

(Better make it a double, Dan. This glass is half empty)

September 26, 2016 at 9:19 am

Your negative vibes vex me ‘Stache.

• Bancells Moustache

September 26, 2016 at 11:00 am

Ah Boog, you would be the last person I want to bring down. I’m snake bitten. The last two series of the year are in the road against the 2 teams I despise, and who have broke my heart, the most? I shoulda started drinking earlier…

September 26, 2016 at 11:07 am

Well, the only solution now is to drink later ..

• Bancells Moustache

September 26, 2016 at 11:08 am

And I suppose, in the interest of full disclosure as this IS a sports writers place, I may as well go whole hog and admit what may get me tossed out of the bar; Toronto was my preseason AL World Series pick.

Be gentle…

September 26, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I would have agreed with you at the time. But I would have never ‘picked’ them.

September 26, 2016 at 12:50 pm

For the record, this sportswriter had the Red Sox winning the division and the Astros winning the World Series (over the Giants).

September 26, 2016 at 9:17 am

Beertender, in honor of my namesake, I’ll have a pint of whatever tap #26 holds.

To answer your question. Since I was the person that foolishly claimed the O’s were going to pull away to a 7 game division lead by the end of the year in one of your past Tap-in questions posed sometime midsummer, I’m not going to change course now! I say YES, the O’s come home, and will go as far as hosting a few World Series games.

OK…I admit, your Tap Room wasn’t my 1st stop today …. hic.

September 26, 2016 at 12:53 pm

wow. World Series?? I’ve made eye contact with the bouncer.

5. pedro

September 26, 2016 at 9:23 am

I see Detroit winning 5 of their remaining 7 (split 4 with Cleveland, sweep Atlanta). That means we have to win 4 of these 6. That gives them 74 losses. My guess is we win 3 of 6 and tie Detroit. So, yes, we will come back to OPACY for a tie-breaker with Detroit (we won the season series) on Monday. How’s that?

September 26, 2016 at 12:54 pm

More work than I wanted, but a feasible scenario.

6. Osfansip

September 26, 2016 at 9:31 am

This series in Toronto is huge. The Os are 7-9 in 16 games vs Toronto in 2016 and 2-5 in Toronto. Some of those road losses have been ugly. There is pressure on both teams to win a little more on the Os. Hopefully the Os can get men on base and drive them in early in the game, That would really be easier on the SP. It should be a tense and fun series. I think the season and post season is riding on it! LETS GO OS!!!

September 26, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I’d agree about the RISP. But it sure is tough to pitch in Rogers Centre, too.

7. Steve Cockey

September 26, 2016 at 9:34 am

As much as I hate to say it, I’ll stick with my original prediction and say no. Even with a 1.5 game lead for the 2nd WC, the toughest schedule among the contenders and all road games don’t feel like a good mix for me. Suddenly finding the consistency to win 4/6 in TOR and NY just doesn’t seem likely. But, if this team has proved anything this year, it’s that they’re full of surprises.

September 26, 2016 at 10:06 am

More negative vibes. At least you ‘hate’ saying it though.

• Steve Cockey

September 26, 2016 at 10:20 am

Trust me, Boog. There’s nothing I want more than to see some O’s playoff games, especially ones at home. Because I’d be there for each and every one. I guess I just can’t get past the fact that this is a sub-.500 team over the past 3 months. It doesn’t give me much confidence that they’ll be able to beat 2 divisional contenders on the road when it matters most. But as unpredictable and up-and-down as they’ve been, maybe I’m putting too much stock in their recent record. Let’s hope I am, anyway.

September 26, 2016 at 10:59 am

Reason and logic have no room in my world Steve.

What scares me is that you’ve been pretty accurate with you assessments up to this point.

8. Creatively_19

September 26, 2016 at 9:40 am

One thing I’m thankful for is that the O’s are waiting until Wednesday to sell Wild Card game tickets to season ticket holders. I’m not ready to jump on the bandwagon that the O’s will be back for more baseball this season. Then again, nothing surprises me with the O’s anymore, but I’m not counting on it.

9. SMAC8567

September 26, 2016 at 9:44 am

Playing on the road scares me, playing in Toronto even more so. My predictions NEVER pan out, so for the sake of Orioles nation, I’ll just say it should be an interesting six games.

10. 5brooks5

September 26, 2016 at 9:55 am

I will say yes sir, we will be in line for several home games, as long as one of the site’s owners stays out of Toronto and New York stadiums for the next six games. We are a lock!

September 26, 2016 at 10:11 am

Positive vibes….finally!

11. pedro

September 26, 2016 at 10:15 am

Don’t forget the teams below us have to win too. Detroit has 4 with Cleveland. Houston and Seattle play each other. Even if we get just one win in Toronto, we will still have the 2nd WC going into NY. I like our chances.

September 26, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Not easy for anyone. But O’s have toughest because they have no home games remaining

12. Calvin95

September 26, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Before the Boston series I was thinking we were where we needed to be. I was at 3 of the games and Tuesday’s game took it out of me (Ortiz 3 run homer). So no I don’t think O’s will return to the yard. But if they do I’ll be there.

13. bv22

September 29, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I don’t see them getting past Toronto on the road two times. If they do though, I’ll be at the first ALDS game!