O's remain hopeful Kim can avoid DL; club will know more after Thursday's workout - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Dan Connolly

O’s remain hopeful Kim can avoid DL; club will know more after Thursday’s workout

Kim_Hyun Soo_04102016_01

Days after exiting with an injury, the Orioles and Hyun Soo Kim remain hopeful that the outfielder can avoid the disabled list, although that won’t be determined fully until Thursday’s workout at Tropicana Field, according to an industry source.

Kim, 28, strained his right hamstring while running to first base in the first inning of Sunday’s victory against the Los Angeles Angels.

He was removed from the game and said afterward that he hoped to avoid the disabled list.

That remains a possibility, but the club wants to see how he is responding to treatment Thursday.

At the time of the injury, Kim’s interpreter told manager Buck Showalter that Kim had had a similar injury before in Korea around the All Star Break there, and returned to play a few days later.

Among semi-regulars, Kim is leading the team in batting average (.329) and on-base percentage (.410) while playing against right-handed pitching.

1. Creatively_19

July 13, 2016 at 8:31 am

We’ve come a long way since 1/2 a season ago when this news would have been met with a collective “Meh”. Still, despite his high BA and OBP, I’m surprised he only has 18 runs scored and 11 RBI. Dan, if you were writing out the lineup, would you consider batting Kim lead-off and Jones second?

July 13, 2016 at 10:59 am

Since they don’t have a true leadoff hitter — or an experienced one anyway — I think it is a consideration. When he signed I was told he might be a leadoff alternative if no one else emerged. That’s probably the continued sentiment.

2. Os fan in Detroit

July 13, 2016 at 9:55 am

I hope Kim is going to be ready to go. I like the works the count and is selective at the plate. He is more of a lead off hitter than anyone else on the team so I would consider leading him off…. Sorry you asked Dan not me 🙂

July 13, 2016 at 11:00 am

You get points for beating me to it. What he said.

3. rebusgadfly

July 13, 2016 at 10:37 am

I will stand on top of the bar and eat my earlier ill words at the beginning of the season towards Kim. I was wrong. He is a good ballplayer and with his numbers I hope he avoids the dl. It would be what’s best for the club. (might want to cut me off too much expresso)

July 13, 2016 at 11:01 am

We like a little spunk in the morning. And you weren’t the only one off on this subject.